Second Street Gallery Selections Biennial
Application Deadline Extended to April 1, 2017
December 1, 2017 – January 27, 2018
GUIDELINES TO SUBMIT ARTWORK:
Second Street Gallery (SSG) welcomes proposals for consideration in the gallery’s inaugural biennial exhibition. All art submitted must be by/from living artists. Works in all media – drawings, prints, photography, paintings, sculptures, installations, videos, sound, performance and interdisciplinary projects – and/or exhibition proposals from artists at any stage in their careers – emerging and established – may be submitted. Please see SSG floor plan PDF.
We are pleased to announce that works for the first Second Street Gallery Selections Biennial will be chosen by guest curator, Ashley Kistler, former director of the Anderson Gallery at Virginia Commonwealth University, who will consider local, national, and international submissions. The Biennial group show will be comprised of eight to ten recommendations, one of which may be a solo exhibition or installation in the smaller Dové Gallery.
Each artist will submit their entire proposal package electronically, with the subject line, FIRST SSG BIENNIAL SUBMISSION. SSG will receive and review each submission to ensure that each adheres to the established guidelines. Only proposals that meet the established criteria will be reviewed by the guest curator.
As guest curator, Ms. Kistler will review and evaluate each qualifying submission. She will select the artists and works for Second Street Gallery Selections Biennial exhibition in the Main Gallery and a feature artist whose work will appear in the Dové Gallery as an installation or solo show.
In addition to the works chosen for the Biennial, Kistler may make additional suggestions to Second Street Gallery’s Curator for works (and/or proposals) that warrant future consideration, though they have not been selected for inclusion in the inaugural Biennial. In tandem with SSG’s curator, Kistler will make recommendations for the installation, and may consider a thematic context that results from her curatorial review. All installation guidelines, programming needs, and the possibility of a Biennial catalog will be considered within the context of SSG’s annual budget for the Biennial year.
SSG is a non-profit art space. While we have a solid track record of sales, the salability of art is not the primary criteria for evaluating submissions. Artists whose work is selected for the Biennial will be notified of the acceptance of their work or their exhibition proposal, as well as the timetable for confirming participation, and shipping or delivery of art to the gallery for the Biennial. A small stipend will be available to each selected artist; it may be used to cover shipping or delivery expenses, artist travel, or materials, at each artist’s discretion.
1) Work Samples: Ten (10) images, individually labeled with title, date, and orientation. If your proposed work involves video, sound, performance and/or a (site-specific) installation, please provide a brief description of how it will be installed and what is required for installation – all supplies, tools, material needs, and other pertinent information provided. All works must include appropriate hanging apparatus and be installation-ready at the time of delivery to SSG.
2) Checklist: All images must be accompanied by a checklist that includes title, year, medium, and dimensions.
3) Contact Information: All artists must provide an address, phone number, and email that will be valid through the Biennial installation and deinstallation process. To ensure timely notification and communications, it is the artist’s responsibility to update SSG of any changes in contact information that occurs during the review process.
4) Exhibition History: A CV that includes solo/group shows, publications, press, and collections (one to two pages)
5) Artist Statement: A brief statement about the work submitted. This may be conceptual or thematic (one page)
6) Dové Gallery Proposal (optional): If you are submitting a specific proposal for the Dové Gallery please include all factors required for installation. Please see SSG floor plan PDF.
7) Electronic Submission: All applications will be submitted electronically in one email or link. Suggested submission not to exceed 10MB, including all attachments, as indicated above. Please use GoogleDrive to send the materials, if the package includes video, sound, or a format that may exceed the suggested 10MB (for the entire proposal). If submitting hyperlinks to video, sound, or other media, please ensure that each link works before submission. In advance of sharing the application with the Guest Curator, SSG will review each application to ensure that it is complete and working properly. Incomplete applications, or applications with components that do not work properly may not be considered.
8) Application Fee: A $35 processing fee is due at the time of submission. The fee may be submitted via PayPal, Square, or as a check or money order made out to and mailed to SECOND STREET GALLERY with SSG FIRST SELECTIONS BIENNIAL in the memo line. (To remit payment via PayPal, please use the email: email@example.com) To accommodate applicants who do not use PayPal or Square, the fee is the only aspect of the application that may be submitted via snail mail.
Only complete applications via electronic submission will be considered. Please do not mail or hand-deliver applications, actual art, or work samples to SSG. Mailed or hand-delivered applications will not be considered and SSG is unable to return them.
EXHIBITION REVIEW SCHEDULE: Updated August 25, 2016
- Extended: The deadline for receipt of all Biennial submissions for review by the Guest Curator is April 1, 2017.
- SSG will ensure that each application is complete and working properly. Complete applications will be given to the Guest Curator by April 15, 2017.
- The Guest Curator will return their selections and recommendations to SSG by June 1, 2017
- SSG will notify artists selected for the Second Street Gallery Selections Biennial by June 20, 2017.
- Selected artists must confirm participation by July 11, 2017.
- SSG will produce a press release announcing participants by August 15, 2017.
- By September 15, 2017, all selected artists will receive an exhibition timetable and requirements for delivery, installation and deinstallation. If funding permits, SSG will request revised/updated artist statements, work samples, CVs and hi-res images for production of an Inaugural Biennial catalog (TBD).
Please email your complete application to
Please remit application fees $35 to PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail a check to:
Charlottesville, VA 22902
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- SSG will update the Biennial weblink on the SSG webpage as additional information is available.
- Please no calls or emails regarding the review or selection process.