SECOND STREET GALLERY Application for SEASON 44 Exhibition
Dové Gallery - February 2- March 23, 2018.
GUIDELINES TO SUBMIT ARTWORK:
Second Street Gallery (SSG) welcomes proposals for consideration for a solo exhibition in our Dové Gallery for February-March 2018. All art submitted must be by/from living artists. Works in all media – drawings, prints, photography, paintings, sculptures, installations, videos, sound, performance and interdisciplinary projects – and/or exhibition proposals from artists at any stage in their careers – emerging and established – may be submitted. Please see SSG Gallery floor plan PDF. Artists who have had participated in a solo exhibition in Charlottesville, VA or within a 90 mile radius in the past year are not eligible to apply. Artists who submitted an application to the 2017 SSG Selections Biennial who did not request the return of their application fee will be automatically placed into the pool for consideration.
Each artist will submit an entire proposal package electronically, with the subject line, SSG SEASON 44 SUBMISSION. SSG will receive and review each submission to ensure that it adheres to the established guidelines. Only proposals that meet the established criteria will be reviewed by SSG’s Executive Director and Chief Curator, Kristen Chiacchia.
As curator, Ms. Chiacchia will review and evaluate each qualifying submission. She will select one artist for exhibition in Second Street Gallery’s Dové Gallery space for the February – March 2018 exhibition.
In addition to the artist chosen for this exhibition, Ms. Chiacchia may consider other applications for a future exhibition at Second Street Gallery, though they have not been selected for inclusion in this specific exhibition. All installation guidelines and programming needs will be considered within the context of SSG’s annual budget for Season 44.
SSG is a non-profit art space. While we have a solid track record of sales, the salability of art is not the primary criteria for evaluating submissions. Artists whose work is selected for exhibition will be notified of the acceptance, as well as the timetable for confirming participation, and shipping or delivery of art to the gallery for the February exhibition. A small stipend will be available to each selected artist; it may be used to cover shipping or delivery expenses, artist travel, or materials, at each artist’s discretion.
1) Work Samples: Ten (10) images, individually labeled with title, date, and orientation. If your proposed work involves video, sound, performance and/or a (site-specific) installation, please provide a brief description of how it will be installed and what is required for installation – all supplies, tools, material needs, and other pertinent information should be provided. All works must include appropriate hanging apparatus and be installation-ready at the time of delivery to SSG.
2) Checklist: All images must be accompanied by a checklist that includes title, year, medium, and dimensions.
3) Contact Information: Each artist must provide an address, phone number, and email that will be valid through the exhibition installation and deinstallation process. To ensure timely notification and communications, it is the artist’s responsibility to update SSG of any changes in contact information that occur during the review process.
4) Exhibition History: A CV that includes solo and group shows, publications, press, awards, and collections (one to two pages).
5) Artist Statement: A brief statement about the work submitted. This may be conceptual or thematic (one page).
6) Electronic Submission: All applications will be submitted electronically in one email or link. Suggested submission not to exceed 10MB, including all attachments, as indicated above. Please use GoogleDrive to send the materials, if the package includes video, sound, or a format that may exceed the suggested 10MB (for the entire proposal). If submitting hyperlinks to video, sound, or other media, please ensure that each link works before submission. SSG staff will review each application to ensure that it is complete and working properly. Incomplete applications, or applications with components that do not work properly may not be considered.
7) Application Fee: A $35 processing fee is due at the time of submission. The fee may be submitted via PayPal or as a check or money order made out to and mailed to SECOND STREET GALLERY with SSG SEASON 44 SUBMISSION in the memo line. (To remit payment via PayPal, please use the email: email@example.com) To accommodate applicants who do not use PayPal, the fee is the only aspect of the application that may be submitted via snail mail.
Only complete applications via electronic submission will be considered. Please do not mail or hand-deliver applications, actual art, or work samples to SSG. Mailed or hand-delivered applications will not be considered, and SSG is unable to return them.
EXHIBITION REVIEW SCHEDULE:
- Completed applications MUST be received no later than: June 30, 2017
- Upon receipt of an application, each artist will receive an electronic receipt of the complete submission.
- SSG will ensure that each application is complete and working properly.
- Ms. Chiacchia will review completed applications and selected an artist for exhibition by July 20, 2017.
- SSG will notify artist selected no later than July 27, 2017 and the artist will receive an exhibition timetable as well as requirements for delivery, installation and deinstallation.
- The selected artist must confirm participation by August 17, 2017, or an alternate will be chosen.
- SSG will produce a press release announcing the exhibiting artist by September 17, 2017.
Or mail a check to:
SSG Season 44 Submission
Second Street Gallery
115 Second Street SE
Charlottesville, VA 22902