POSTED ON 5.3.2014
As one of the longest established nonprofits taking part in Give4Good on May 6, please allow us to remind you why we matter.
1. Bringing new art and artists to Central Virginia for 41 years
2. Played a leading role in the revitalization of downtown, continues to be central to Greater Charlottesville’s cultural scene
3. Always been a nonprofit – a community resource, supported by the community it serves
4. Exhibited work by over 1,500 artists – local, regional, national, and international
5. 10 – 12 exhibitions each year, with a diverse range of media and viewpoints
6. Artist led workshops in the public schools and with the Boy & Girls Clubs
7. Annual free family art day draws 200 – 300 participants
8. Artists present at First Friday openings to talk about their work and process
9. Annual visitation around 10,000 people
10. Now one of the longest enduring nonprofit art spaces in the USA
Help us keep up the good work by donating during the 24 hour Give4Good event on Tuesday, May 6th by clicking on the link below.
POSTED ON 3.13.2014
"Chasing the Illusive Image: The Origins of Photography"
Thursday, March 27, 4:30-7:00pm at Second Street Gallery
Piedmont Council for the Arts and Second Street Gallery have partnered with the Office of Statewide Partnerships of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond to offer an information-packed training session for teachers, educators, and all those interested in photography!
Although the notion of photography goes back to at least the fifth century B.C.E. when Chinese philosopher Mo Ti described the principle of the Camera Obscura, photography as we know it today was not officially announced to the world until 1839. In this educator workshop, participants will investigate the almost simultaneous development of two different systems of photography in France and in England.
Jeffrey Allison, Paul Mellon Collection Educator at the VMFA will lead this presentation which is applicable to middle and high school teachers. Teachers will leave this session with resource guides, lesson plans, and a CD of images from VMFA exhibitions.
This workshop is FREE for PCA & SSG Members and $5 for non-members. Advance registration required. Refreshments provided! Second Street Gallery is located at 115 2nd Street SE on the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville.
Questions? Please call (434) 977-7284. To register for this workshop, please email email@example.com by March 25th, 2014.
Recent Outreach Workshops
POSTED ON 12.20.2013
We had some fun workshops recently with the children from the Cherry Ave Boys & Girls Club. One was a collage workshop with artist Andy Faith, and the other was a studio visit with photographers Margo Hamilton and Ron Evans where the children had their silhouette portraits taken and learned about developing film in a dark room. Thank you to the artists and to our outreach sponsors! Check out the portraits and some other images from the outreach sessions below.